European Tour Bans Scottish Open LIV Golfers

MNCHEN — The European tour banned golfers participating in Friday’s Saudi-backed breakaway LIV series from three upcoming tournaments, including the Scottish Open, and fined them $120,000.

The tour said all players who took part in this month’s inaugural LIV event in England would be banned from the Scottish Open, Barbasol Championship and Barracuda Championship and fined £100,000 ($123,000). All three of these events are co-sanctioned by the European Tour and the PGA, which has banned players from participating in LIV.

“Further sanctions” could follow if the players continue to participate in LIV without authorization, the European tour said.

“Many of the members I’ve spoken to over the past few weeks have felt that those who have chosen this route have not only disrespected them and our Tour, but also the meritocratic ecosystem of professional golf that has shaped the foundation for the past half century. of our game has been a century and that will be the foundation on which we will build for the next 50 years,” said Keith Pelley, head of the European tour.

“Their actions are not fair to the majority of our members and undermine the Tour, which is why we are taking the action we announced today.”

The announcement of the European tour came while a number of players signed to LIV were playing in one of its own events. Some of the most famous players of the European tour were present at the BMW International Open on Friday, including big winners Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia and Martin Kaymer. They all played the inaugural LIV event in England.

Brooks Koepka, who officially joined the LIV tour earlier this week, had previously been announced as part of the Scottish Open field.

Leave a Comment