Work has begun on a new fitness park, including a full-size basketball court, in the Don Lucas Reserve in Wanda.
Sutherland Shire Council says the shared, multi-purpose district will encourage active social engagement and community participation.
The scope of the work includes:
- Renovate and expand the basketball court and realign the shooting board.
- Build a new full-size basketball court with a revolutionary high-tech surface.
- Construction of the new gym, with breakout area for other equipment, free exercises.
- Connecting paths and landscape planting.
- Relocation of services to accommodate future events.
- Dismantle existing fitness equipment (North only).
“We are excited about the new basketball court tiles that provide resilience and cushioning comparable to the comfort of a hardwood court,” said a council statement.
“With an open top design, they have a quick-drying porous finish, excellent weather resistance and good drainage.
“In addition, they offer significant noise cancellation.”
Community consultation on the project began in late 2020 and a detailed design was completed in October 2021.
The work is expected to be completed in August this year, weather permitting.
Some parts of the reserve will be closed for the duration of the project.
The existing fitness equipment (north of the facilities) will remain open until dismantling at the end of construction. The fitness equipment south of the facilities will remain open.
Don Lucas Reserve will remain open and available for recreational and fitness activities during these works.
This project is fully financed by the municipality from general income.