Space Available in New Hanover County Home Special Assistance Program

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Social Services has funding and space available in the Special Assistance In-Home Program.

The county’s Adult Services division within DSS provides case management for recipients of Special Assistance (SA) In-Home financial aid and in-home aid services.

The program helps Medicaid-eligible adults requiring home care with the support they need to continue living safely and effectively in their own homes for as long as possible.

Case managers conduct in-depth assessments to determine an individual’s ability to live at home, such as the client’s functional status and need for care and services, availability of family, friends and neighbors to provide care and services, availability and access to care and services from agencies and other formal service providers, the ability to pay for housing and the availability of affordable and safe housing.

If a person is committed to staying home safely with appropriate help and support, this program provides a financial supplement and helps develop a care plan with the services needed for the person to live at home.

“Providing residents with the services and support they need to live and thrive in our community is a top priority for our team at Social Services,” said Tonya Jackson, director of social services. “The Special Assistance In-Home Program is designed to keep lower-income adults at home in a space that is familiar and comfortable to them. The program provides financial support for monthly living expenses that help with support services, food and other necessities so that they do not have to move into a residential facility. We are excited about the capacity and funding to support New Hanover County residents eligible for the program and look forward to talking with applicants about how we can help.”

To be eligible for the Special Assistance In-Home Program, an individual must:

  • be 18 years or older
  • Be a resident of New Hanover County
  • Have a completed FL-2 who requires care in a licensed adult care facility but has a desire to live at home or in another private setting
  • Be a US Citizen or Qualified Foreigner
  • Fully Eligible for Medicaid
  • Meet the eligibility requirements for special assistance
  • Be able to maintain health, safety and well-being with the appropriate services, such as domestic help services, home modifications, case management services and necessary supplies
  • Must have unmet financial needs

Contact the New Hanover County Social Services Department at (910) 798-3500 to request a social worker to prepare an assessment or visit the Social Services website for information.

Leave a Comment