HONG KONG, May 06, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — WIMI Hologram Academy, in collaboration with the Holographic Science Innovation Center, has released a new technical paper detailing their exploration of the application of virtual assembly technology to aircraft assembly. This article follows below:
In the late 20th century, some scientists used virtual reality technology to provide immersive, interactive, realistic and convenient virtual scenes for assembly process technology; and has conducted preliminary research on virtual assembly technology, which has been well applied and promoted. At present, the global research mainly remains in the virtual desktop assembly stage, and the supporting virtual environment equipment is relatively backward. Now the research situation of virtual assembly technology has been extensively assessed and analyzed.
According to statistics, the assembly cost of products accounts for 30%~50% or even more of the total production cost, which is higher in the aerospace industry. Scientists from the WIMI Hologram Academy of WIMI Hologram Cloud Inc. (NASDAQ: WIMI), discussed the application of virtual assembly technology in aircraft assembly. Virtual assembly technology is to assemble each part of the product in the way of human-computer interaction, which can combine the process and all materials of the product for simulation. Virtual assembly technology generates the assembly process that conforms to the actual production to reduce production costs and waste of production resources, and effectively improve assembly efficiency.
1. Overview of virtual mounting technology
A new type of virtual assembly environment system, which consists of three environment modules and 2 interface parts, is designed according to different categories of different aspects of virtual assembly technology. It can be divided into product design, process planning and virtual prototype based on virtual assembly according to the virtual environment
According to the architecture, the overall process of virtual assembly is divided into phases of modeling, planning and field application. In the modeling stage, the product model and the real environment model are mainly converted into a virtual scene model. In the planning stage, the product assembly planning, the mounting path planning, the interactive simulation of the mounting operation and the evaluation. Finally, the product process catalog tree and related process documents are generated to train and educate the field assembly personnel.
1. CAD modeling environment module. The parts and tools are designed in the CAD system. By defining a series of coordination constraints, these parts are assembled to obtain the assembly model of the product. The assembly modeling process only considers the assembly position and constraints of the parts, and the process details such as the assembly order are not taken into account. It mainly includes geometric module information about product parts, tooling and tool geometry module information, and information about software system management data.
2. Environment module for virtual assembly planning. Create a virtual assembly environment based on geometric constraints, in which users perform interactive assembly and disassembly based on experience and knowledge, capturing information about mounting direction, mounting aids, and priority constraints. Considering the collision interference and the limitation of the tool working space, the mounting sequence and path are planned, evaluated and optimized to generate economical, reasonable and practical mounting schedules.
3. Field application and demonstration and learning environment module. The virtual reality simulation based assembly process provides an excellent training tool for engineers. Assembly personnel require a lengthy process to master the operating skills and experience required for complex product assembly. Assembly personnel provide assembly job training in the virtual environment, are fully familiar with the assembly process, and then perform the actual assembly of the product. At the same time, according to the optimized assembly schedule obtained from the virtual assembly schedule, the field guidance process documents are generated and the web-based education software is developed to simulate the dynamic assembly process of the products and the workers in the actual assembly.
4. CAD interface. After the design model of the CAD system is loaded into the virtual environment, the useful information about the part geometry information, topology information, and assembly constraint information must be extracted.
5. Virtual Assembly, (VA) interface. In the virtual environment, interactive planning obtains the optimized assembly scheme of the product. The relevant process information, such as assembly order, assembly path, process route and other process information, should be exported from the virtual environment, and the training and education modules are entered to generate assembly animation documents to guide the field assembly and generate assembly process documents.
2. The features and advantages of virtual assembly technology
1. Main Features:
Assembly mode of human-computer interaction. Using VR main equipment, such as data clothes, data helmet, gloves, 3D control mouse, etc., in a similar virtual working environment, make the process personnel move, rotate, grab, install, disassemble, let the actual operator intervention in the assembly process, reflect the subjective intention and thought, realize the human-oriented process design.
Virtualization of the assembly process mode. Includes digital model 3D virtualization, virtualization of visual and operational environments, and virtualization of human-computer editing processes. In the virtual three-dimensional environment, through the CAD resources, the same virtualization operation as the actual assembly process, the assembly process virtual design implementation object, the machining process and the assembly resources used are very consistent with the actual production, can reflect the real vibrancy process of product assembly, making the simulation results have a high credibility.
Bridge between design and manufacture. Virtual assembly is the transition stage of upstream and downstream product design and production, and is an important link in the product life cycle, ensuring the information integration of products in design and production, quality inspection, operation and management and other aspects. In the design process, the three-dimensional number modules, the tooling number modules required for the production process, the number modules of the automatic equipment used, and the process model obtained through process division and simulation form a unified whole in the whole process.
2. Main benefits:
3D interaction in a virtual immersive environment. Comprehensive support of immersive display system and spatial interaction equipment, realize the corresponding observation and control from the first perspective, simulate the real working process, move, rotate and accurate in 3D space, and can get real feedback. It can not only improve the interactive experience and quickly find the assembly problems exposed from different perspectives, but also make up for the shortcomings of the traditional assembly simulation and disassembly ideas. Most assembly simulation ideas are the reverse process of disassembly and assembly, and the product assembly order is quickly obtained by planning the assembly sequence of the assembly model. But the assembly order and disassembly order are not completely reversible processes, so the resulting assembly order can only be used as a reference. In the virtual reality environment, the installation operation and positioning of products have their advantages, and the installation process can be simulated and verified, and the path can be recorded in this order.
3. The application of virtual assembly technology in aircraft assembly
Aircraft assembly is an important link in aircraft construction. It is an important feature of aircraft construction to ensure the parts and components, coordination between parts and tools, tooling and assembly, and then to ensure the assembly accuracy of aircraft construction. Through a series of special process equipment, the shapes and sizes with coordination requirements are transferred according to the simulation quantity and gradually transferred to the parts and components. There are a number of public links in the process of submission. The more public links, the fewer non-public links and the higher the coordination accuracy. This coordination method can provide high coordination accuracy with low manufacturing accuracy.
Digital aircraft assembly technology emerged in the late 1980s and has developed rapidly in some developed countries. Digital assembly technology integrates the most advanced scientific and technological achievements in various fields of the industry, such as digital technology, virtual reality technology, laser tracking and positioning technology, automatic control technology, etc. It was completely different from the traditional aircraft assembly technology. Modern digital aircraft assembly technology is characterized by automation, digitization, flexibility and information technology, which greatly improves the quality and efficiency of aircraft assembly, and also improves the service life of aircraft. In fact, the assembly of aircraft parts in the whole aircraft manufacturing process is a combination of multiple disciplines, is closely related to product quality, production cycle and manufacturing costs, based on virtual reality process assembly technology, makes the aircraft at an early stage of manufacturing design and process problems, problems so solve as quickly as possible, shorten the product development cycle, to reduce the production cost of the product.
Some companies have developed the world’s first mixed reality training platform for the assessment and verification of aircraft assembly and manufacturing simulation, using interaction and real-time timeliness to avoid the risk of practical verification and reduce the cost of the training simulation. Today, the MOON method selects the augmented reality information interaction mode, which uses the webcam to capture the image of the assembly stage in real time, and then extract the corresponding virtual information from the IDMU to display on the real-time image. to stack. When assembling aircraft, MOON project can unify WI document information management, and through AR information interaction technology to iDMU in the form of 3D vision for the personnel, augmented reality technology provides comprehensive and centralized interactive visual information that is more direct and effective can lead the assembly work, reduce assembly errors, improve assembly efficiency and quality. In short, virtual assembly technology and its application in aircraft assembly are still very important.
Founded in August 2020, WIMI Hologram Academy is dedicated to holographic AI vision exploration and researches fundamental science and innovative technologies, powered by human vision. The Holographic Science Innovation Center, in partnership with WIMI Hologram Academy, is committed to exploring the unknown technology of holographic AI vision, attracting, collecting and integrating relevant global resources and superior forces, advancing comprehensive innovation with scientific and technological innovation at the core, and conducting fundamental scientific and innovative technological research.
Holographic Science Innovation Center
Email: [email protected] com