Avnet ZUBoard 1CG is a development board with the new entry-level AMD Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ ZU1CG dual-core Cortex-A53 MPSoC with 81K FPGA system logic cells, equipped with 1 GB LPDDR4 RAM, as well as SYZYGY connectors and mikroBus expansion for Click cards.
Priced at $159, the board might offer a good opportunity to get started with Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC, as it’s quite a bit cheaper than boards based on ZU3 devices like Ultra96-V2 or MYD-CZU3EG. Avnet says the board is suitable for artificial intelligence, machine learning, embedded vision, embedded processing and robotics applications.
ZUBoard 1CG specifications:
- SoC – AMD/Xilinx ZU+ MPSoC ZU1CG with
- Dual Cortex-A53 APU @ up to 1.3 GHz and Dual Cortex-R5 RPU @ up to 533 MHz
- 256KB on-chip memory
- 81,900 FPGA Logic Cells
- System Memory – 1 GB LPDDR4 with on-chip ECC
- Storage – 256 Mbit QSPI flash, microSD card, both bootable
- Networking – 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 Port
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Sensors – Temperature and Pressure Sensors
- 3x SYZYGY expansion connectors with I2Cm SPI, UART, PCIe, DisplayPort, SATA, etc… via four PS GTR transceivers
- 1x mikroBUS interface for one Mikroelektronika Click expansion card
- Debugging – Built-in JTAG and UART debugging interface
- Miscellaneous – RGB LEDs, LEDs, User Slide Switch and Push Button, Battery Powered RTC, FPGA Bitstream Protection Enabled with ECS and Custom Power Supply
- Power Management
- Input – 5V via micro USB-C port
- Dialog GreenPAK on/off controller and power sequencer
- TDK (POL Power Modules)
- Dimensions – to be determined
It’s not the first time we’ve covered a board with SYZYGY expansion connectors, but I completely forgot about it, and as a reminder, SYZYGY is a standard connector intended to close the gap between low-speed, low-pin Digilent PMOD connector, and high-pin count VITA 57.1 FMC connector.
Like other Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC platforms, the ZUBoard 1CG runs on the PetaLinux operating system and the FPGA fabric can be programmed with Vivado/Vitis. The company expects the board to be used for the development of industrial and healthcare IoT systems, embedded vision cameras, AV-over-IP 4K and 8K-ready streaming, wearable test devices, consumer, medical applications and more .
The AMD Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ ZU1CG is a relatively new “cost-optimized” component announced last year, which should explain why no other platforms are based on it yet.
Avnet has now announced the ZUBoard 1CG development board as they will be demonstrating the solution at the Embedded Vision Summit to be held May 17-19, 2022 in Santa Clara, California, USA, but it is not yet available with pre-orders for $159. starting in the coming days, but shipping is scheduled for Q4 2022. More details can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time business, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager and later in 2011 starting to write daily news and reviews full-time.